When opportunities arise, we tenant proof our rental properties as much as possible. This usually means putting in hardwood or tile flooring. As properties turn-over, a hard surface floor is not only easier to maintain but should last longer (through multiple tenants). We are also finding this to be true in our personal home where we have tile throughout the first floor. We just don’t have a good way of deep cleaning these surfaces…until now! Enter the Hoover FloorMate Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner.
Why We Own It: Our house was built 10 years ago, we’ve lived in for a little over 3 years and our grout lines have turned. We’ve tried everything from bleach to vinegar/baking soda combined with a little bit of elbow grease. Nothing we’ve tried will get our grout lines clean. The heavier traffic areas are darker than the not so trafficked areas. And it’s not like we are dirty people. Our tile get’s a heavy steam bath via the Shark Steam Mop once a week.
What I love about the Hoover FloorMate:
- Lightweight; easy to maneuver
- Price point – around $125
- Slick look with clean lines
- Easy clean-up
- It ships with a 16 oz bottle of cleaning solution
- How clean it gets our floors!
What Can Improve:
- The fill tank should be flat on the bottom or balance itself. As the instructions request, and as I found out, you want to fill the tank with water first before putting in the cleaning solution. Doing the opposite creates a huge bubble bath in your tank, limiting the amount you fill or requiring your cleaning solution to spill out in the form of bubbles. Balancing a full tank of water while measuring & pouring in the cleaning solution provides some challenges.
For that, once a quarter, deep cleaning of your tile floors (or when tenant turnover happens), the Hoover FloorMate Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner does the trick. For that daily or weekly clean, go for the lighter, more portable Shark Steam Mop.
All in all, the Hoover FloorMate did not clean our grout like I was hoping. Still impressed with how clean it left our floors, just looking for something to remove the 10 year old gunk in our grout. Next up is Amazon Home Services – Tile & Grout Cleaning. I’ll let you know how it goes.
#REI #RealEstateInvesting #HelmsREI